Fluid Power Professionals’ Day
The International Fluid Power Society (IFPS) has dedicated June 19 as “Fluid Power Professionals’ Day” – a day of recognition for all of us who work in the fluid power field!
It has been said that fluid power is a “hidden giant” because it is so common in every aspect of our day-to-day existence that we have simply overlooked the obvious. There is not a vehicle, ship, plane, or train that can operate without fluid power. There is no consumer item, no electronic gadget, and no morsel of food we grow that can exist in enough quantity at a cost we can afford without the use of fluid power and our efforts.
From the ancient waterwheels of an emerging agrarian economy through the renaissance of industrial revolution to the automation and information technology age of today, we have worked to utilize, maintain, improve, and advance this all-encompassing technology. These efforts have improved productivity, ensured safety, and provided critical services that improve the quality of all of our lives. THANK YOU!
Why June 19th?
A little bit of history behind the date is interesting. Blaise Pascal—a French mathematician, inventor, writer, and physicist—was born on this day clear back in 1623. His work in hydrodynamics and hydrostatics, including the invention of the hydraulic press, paved the way for all future innovations.
He was also instrumental in experiments in pneumatics that examined the behavior of air in a vacuum and validated the work of the man who invented the barometer, Evangelista Torricelli. Because of Blaise Pascal and his work, the scientific foundation of thermodynamics and fluid power was set to build upon for those who followed.
IFPS is also hosting the first-annual Fluid Power Photo Contest! The submission deadline has past. The top winners of the photo contest will be published in the July/August issue of the Fluid Power Journal.
Celebrate the Day
Take the time to celebrate with your friends and colleagues in the industry. Here are some suggestions on how to enjoy the day; however, it’s “Your day to celebrate your way!”
- Wear emblems, pins, badges, and shirts noting your fluid power affiliation or organization.
- Treat your staff/co-workers to a pizza π.
- Plan a picnic or company cookout – include practical hydraulics with a squirt gun battle!
- Take your employees to an amusement park or raffle off an admission ticket.
- Distribute this flyer to your local customers and/or fluid power vendors. On June 19th deliver goodies to those same locals who are displaying the flyer.
- Go see a movie with hydraulics in action or go to a 4-D motion theater with moving seats.
- Notice how many fluid power applications you can spot on June 19th on your way to work, to the beach, or wherever you are driving, flying, or boating that day.
- Give back to the industry! Help the next generation – make a donation to the Fluid Power Educational Foundation (www.fpef.org) to help support students entering the fluid power industry.
- TAKE pictures of your activities and e-mail to email@example.com.